I am new to the parkinsn list, a PD veteran of 6+ years, & a volunteer
for the Amgen GDNF clinical trials which are being conducted at 6 sites
(5 in US & 1 in Canada) In animal studies GDNF showed great promise in
increasing the number & size of dopamine brain cells.   48 volunteers
will be involved in the study - 8 at each site.  the study is divided
into 4 groups (called "cohorts")  12 people per cohort, 2 at each site.
 Cohorts 1 & 2 are underway. I will be in cohort 3 which begins sometime
after Mar. 4 if all goes well.  Each cohort receives a higher dosage of
GDNF (25% received a placebo) This is a "phase 1 1/2" study, the primary
purpose being to test the safety & tolerability of the substance so the
amount of GDNF being injected is relatively small.  I have gathered
quite a bit of info. & will be happy to share using this forum if there
is a lot of interest. however this will require many keystrokes fr.
fingers not as cunning as they once were. If  Joy is the only one
needing details, perhaps a snail-mail package directly to her will do.
KEEP IN MIND: GDNF must be injected directly into the brain; a permanent
ICV port & catheter has to be surgically implanted in the patient's
head.