Dennis G....

Thank YOU, Dennis, for your exquisite sense of timing in posting your "THIS IS
WAR" message.  I needed something like that message to give myself the impetus
to bite the bullet and bring up the issue of  what PD really is and what it
really is LIKE to my employer, Microsoft, where I'm employed as a private
contractor (making me NOT an actual employee) on contract to manage the
"Chronic Disease & Disorders Forum," on MSN (The Microsoft Network)

When I sent in my job proposal to MSN about 2 years ago, I clearly stated I
was a DOS user (a type operating system) and had never used a Windows
operating system before.  MSN is a Windows based system, and I assured them I
could learn it in a timely manner.  I did so.  I also told them in that
proposal that I lived with Parkinson's Disease and while it was tough, it
hadn't beat me yet.  I was hired for the job, and have worked online out of my
home since Sept. 1, 1995.

I've not alluded to my having PD in staff chats or posts, as it was immaterial
to doing my job or interacting with my fellow forum managers.  HOWEVER, in my
MSN Staff Profile, I stated I've had Parkinson's for 21 years.  And, last
November, when I attended a forum manager's conference at Microsoft
headquarters, I made no bones about having PD.  But... since I don't
particularly look like I'm suffering from any kind of a disease, (OYE! They
should see me right NOW - before my initial daily dose of Sinemet!) <grin>,
most just looked at me and said the usual, "You don't LOOK sick." <sighing>
(You know where that sigh came from, don't ya, m'friends...)

Which brings me to NOW (yes.... there IS a point to all this) <smile>.  MSN
has done a 360 degree turnaround, and is NOW fazing out their Windows based
system and has replaced it with an HTML/UNIX based system, with the brunt of
the HTML coding to be done by US... their forum managers, after MSN provided
each of us with a plain vanilla, bare bones, excruciatingly DULL forum
skeleton with which to build on.

We were given four  2 hour online classes in HTML programming, and it was
quickly apparent to me that I would be unable to keep up with the rest of the
already highly techie-oriented  forum managers, as 1. I'm not technologically
inclined at ALL and must force-feed anything even REMOTELY techie into my
unwilling brain, and   2.  HTML coding requires very extensive use of the
mouse, with unlimited finger, hand and arm movement.. and THAT is absolutely
beyond me.

I DID do each assignment after class, at my own pace taking three times as
long as everyone else... BUT I DID 'EM!  The upshot is that I feel I could do
ok... not great, but ok..... in HTML , with tons of practice.  My
DragonDictate (voice-to-text program) ain't gonna do any HTML coding, and I'm
just learning how to use IT.  I already work a 10 hour average workday 7 days
a week in order to do what my peers  do in 5 days and 5 to 7 hours per day,
'cause the PD slows me down so.... (slow typing and mouse-work, resting
frequently, etc.). But I'm proud of being able to have kept up with the best
of them from the git-go!   Till now, that is...

The added work with the mouse is killing me (and yes, I've tried every
available alternative).   Just picture YOUR most frustrating moments using a
mouse or the 'puter, and multiply that by 7 days a week, 10 hours a day.
Awful, huh?  I end up spending hours doing what my peers do in minutes, with
all my concentration going into making that damn mouse work with my clumsy
fingers rather then expending the energy on the actual PROJECT.  In the
process, I'd actually FORGET the project due to the intense concentration with
the mouse.  It's eating at me that I can't win this one battle 'cause it's so
darn important that SOMEHOW the HTML gets done.

I simply cannot do any more work without seriously injuring my health.  I've
already lost a lot of sleep 'cause of this &%$#@ problem.  Bottom line...  it
absolutely GALLS me to feel cornered like this.  SO... I can spend $65 an our
on a programmer (and can't) OR appeal to my peers  to aid  me on a regular
basis, as needed.  They're nice people, and I honestly DO know they would
help, and gladly.  But still......

Sharing with them WHY I'm so in need of their help is such a humbling
feeling.. and yet, I know it must be done and NOW.  I just have to up and say
"I have Parkinson's Disease, and no longer have the delicate and refined
finger movements needed for continuous, detailed, daily use of the mouse... as
needed for HTML.  All the rest of the work, I can, will do, and LOVE doing.
But with HTML, I really need your help..."

So THANKS for the verbal kick in the derrière, Dennis.  And thanks to those of
you who took the time to read this oh-so-long message.  This has been bottled
up since that November 6 to 9th Forum Manager's Conference, and had become
like a raw wound within me.  I REALLY needed to get this out to someone who
understands what's like to live with PD... and will now FINALLY act on it.

WHEW!  I feel better already..... I think <smile>

Barb Mallut
"Lil_Honey" on the PD Chat