-->>>>>>> Next Section <<<<<<<

Concentrate...one step at a time...left, right, left, right. But if
you concentrate too hard you loose bladder control...clamp down
bladder...left, right. Yet even when you finally make it to the
restroom the struggle isn't over. It's such a simple task-unzipping
your trousers and pulling apart the opening of your boxer shorts-a
simple task that is, unless you have Parkinson's Disease. It's as if
you were wearing a pair of boxing gloves. Where is that opening? If
your shorts get the least bit twisted you have a difficult time
locating it, but this time is worse than ever. Finally in
desperation you shuffle into the nearest stall and frantically try
to undo your belt...but in concentrating on that you lose control of
your bladder. That is also when you discover that your shorts were
on backwards! You don't know whether to laugh or cry, so you do both.

One more moment in life on the microlevel.

But what about all these wonder drugs used to treat Parkinson's
Disease? Unfortunately they only provide symptomatic relief and the
time eventually comes when your dopamine level falls so low that the
side effects of the medication outweigh the benefits. The same is
true for current surgical procedures--symptomatic relief only, not a
cure.

And what about being able to work? Although generally speaking the
earlier the onset, the longer it takes to become debilitating, very
few People With Parkinson's (PWP) are able to work past 60.  Many
PWP are fired when they let their condition be known and the age
barrier itself is often a factor in not being able to get another
job.

But you are luckier than most. Although hardly a living wage, your
retired pay does keep the wolf from the door, and the adjunct
faculty pay is enough to put you in the lower middle class. You
don't have to worry about job discrimination. The first chair of
your department had PD and one of the regular faculty is a geriatric
nurse practitioner specializing in PD and Alzheimer's. Besides, it
is a state university and they are very sensitive to all the
anti-discrimination laws

But even though you have the full support of the university
administration and students, you know you will eventually have to
make the call. The voice will become a mere whisper of itself and
the tremors will make it even more difficult to write and handle
things. There is a good possibility that you will need a wheelchair.
You already have a bumper-sticker selected. It reads. "If you don't
like the way I'm driving, then stay off the sidewalk!"

And the government bureaucracy! It makes less sense than the
military. If you are a self confessed alcoholic the government will
pay you $500 a month to feed your habit, but a PWP has to
practically be a basket case before the government will pay
anything. And what about research? Millions are spent each year to
find a cure for a disease that medically speaking is 100 percent
preventable, yet only a pitance was spent last year on PD research.
I guess PD isn't Hollywood chic yet. Maybe with Mohammad Ali, Billy
Graham, and the Pope coming out of the closet PD will be more in the
public eye.

What keeps you going? -- Faith, Hope, Love, and the knowledge that
you are not alone.

The other day I sat down at my computer to type a belated annual
"how it goes" letter, but what came out is above. Since I consider
you all to be in the category of "friends and family" I am sending a
copy to you.

Bruce
<AKA Starman>
55/9
Sinement CR & Pramipexole
* Experience is that which enables us to recognize a mistake the
next time we make it *