To Brian Collins:
Thank you Brian for setting out your "history" with
Eldepryl/Deprenyl/Selegiline more clearly.  Your knowledge, like mine, goes
back a long way with this variously named drug and it is indeed a
fascinating story.  The MPTP story should be considered essential reading
for all those who are new to the PD world.
I can remember when Deprenyl first was accepted in the West, about the same
time , 1989, as my husband was diagnosed (having been used for many years
in Hungary before then) and a European neurologist saying that if he
thought he was going to get PD, he would "sprinkle the stuff on his
cornflakes in the morning."  Our local neurologist went along with that
too, and so Bob started out on Deprenyl. It was about four years or more
before he had to add in artane, and then Pergolide and now Madopar.

If I can make a gentle caution:  I think we have to be careful intimating
that Deprenyl will make one a "speed freak."  Whilst I concede that all
drugs affect people differently, I have seen enough people on Deprenyl to
know that the extreme side effects, such as you experienced are few and far
between, and mostly in advanced PD.  My husband has been on it for almost
eight years with no side effects: he is never tired, always sleeps, never
hallucinates. But he does snore! (Just joking)  So it works for him and we
have chosen to go the road which says "if there may be some protective
benefit, we will go that road."

Sincerely
Joy Graham