I am forwarding this message to the list on behalf of the originaters of
the fund.  For those members who joined us after Alan died from
complications of asthma on August 1, 1996, Alan Bonander joined the
Parkinsn list shortly after it began.  Alan shared his vast knowledge of
Parkinson's, drugs, drug interactions, helpful hints such as Tom Reis's
blue glasses.  He also shared his compassion for others.  Those of us who
knew Alan are fortunate.  Alan's many postings to this list are available
in the archives (John Cottingham <[log in to unmask]>).  I am pleased to play
this small part in keeping our memories of Alan alive and sharing them
with newer members. Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing

On behalf of the PARKINSN group and in support of our mutual caring for each
other as was demonstrated by Alan Bonander, the ALAN BONANDER MEMORIAL FUND
has been established at the Parkinson's Disease Foundation in New York City.

The settlers of the Alan Bonander Fund contacted Dale Severance in
response to the Grass Roots Fund Drive to assist with the creation of the
Memorial. An initial funding of $3,000 was anonymously donated by members
of the Parkinsn list.

The settlers, as members of the Parkinson's Disease Information Exchange
Network, continually benefit from the growing international membership of
this forum. They depend more and more on this group as the mirror where
one can look for and find familiar thoughts and feelings that this
roller-coaster PD ride gives. There is strength in the camaraderie, a
strong voice for PWP, their care givers, friends and a variety of related
professionals. The members share personal devastations and triumphs, news
of medical and research advances, and are urged to get involved in
regional, national and international advocacy to bring the plight of the
sufferers of PD to open awareness.

As in every group, there are "special" ones. Those who distinguish themselves
for a variety of reasons, whose strong presence is sought out and whose quiet
voice can bring soothing relief to the troubled many. Alan Bonander was a
person with these special characteristics. He died on August 1, 1996 due to
complications from a chronic asthmatic condition.

During his life time Alan freely gave of himself and his resources to
whomever was in need...even to talk to another distraught Parkinsonian, in
the middle of the night. He traveled far and wide sharing his intellect,
and listening to those who needed a listener.

Many beautiful tributes were written in Alan's memory. The settlers of the
fund have picked the following tribute written by Beverly Steward, one of the
talented poets from the group, as the description of the fund:

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                           ALAN
                         A Tribute

                Mentor, listener, friend was he.
                He held our hands and made us see
                that there is hope in spite of grief
                and there are things we can achieve.
                He gave himself, helped others mend
                lives fraught with fear and sheer despair.
                He helped our shattered lives repair.
                He had the knowledge, tact and love
                to turn the fear and terror of
                disease and debilitation grim
                to hopefulness, because of him.

                         Beverly Steward
                           August 1996
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is the hope of the settlers of the fund that the members of the PARKINSN
list will feel a personal involvement and demonstrate this by continuous
donations. This should to be a LIFE GIVING and GROWING TRIBUTE.
PDF has agreed to direct all donations to research and promote it in their
fund-raising drives. Periodic statements will be posted to keep the members
informed of the financial status of the Memorial Fund.

Gifts in memory of Alan can be made payable to the Alan Bonander Memorial
Fund and mailed directly to the PDF at 710 W. 168th. Street, New York,
NY, 10032, Attention: Mr.Robin Elliott, Executive Director.

We secured the consent of the Alans family which was a requirement of the
PDF.