From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Susan L Reynolds
Sent:   Monday, January 13, 1997 2:32 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: This Is War...

I am new and haven't even introduced myself but felt so moved by Barbara's
description of dealing with "the mouse" in her job.  I know she said that
she had tried "all available alternatives" but I'm wondering if everyone
knows about the new ergonomic solutions that are coming out that give one
alternative ways to key stroke and "click". There are trap balls that
allow one to palm the mouse, extremely sensitive mouse pads that one just
touches lightly with the fingers to click, arm supports that attach to the
unit and allow your arms to "float" to rest them as you work, and even
foot pedals that allow you to click the mouse with your feet.Another
help, if at all possible, is to retrain the large upper arm muscles to
take over more, and possibly to change postures.  The key is to be able to
shift stress periodically, and equally.  My apologies if all of this has
been talked about before I "came on".