Debbie,

dystonia type cramps is my "indicator" of too litle levodopa left in my
system. Actually, I have a cramped left foot now - up to the calf. I
took the first med of today about 45 minutes ago, so it is about to be
relieved. I should have eaten a bit more to move it into the small
intestine, I suppose.

I took an alternative "method" - a quarter glass of cranberry drink to
wash some down the small intestine. The effort of walking and getting it
- exercise - helps a little.  However, I am convinced that my blood
pressure is lowered peripherally while my blood-flow to the lower
intestines is increased by the process of digestion. I believe the other
"trick" I can  get relief via doing - is validating the conjecture of
the blood flow.

The other "trick" is to reverse the position of orthostatic (standing
upright) which induces "hypo-tension" (low-blood pressure) in most of us
who do not do enough exercise to have large, healthy hearts that have
extra-capacity to maintain good flow. There are several ways of doing
this: standing on one's head as "Mr. Belvedere" (eccentric British
butler in very old movie) did is one. Another is the yoga position
labeled "candle" which (my recall does not bring the woman
list-member's  name to cognizant  mind right now) first brought to my
attention; this is accomplished by balancing oneself nearly upright on
the shoulders and neck and head via lying on the mat on one's back and
rolling to then kick both feet high and get the elbows to assist and
hold the hips so that one is - if still somewhat athletic - able to then
hold this position and add the balancing required to put both feet high
and the legs straight up so that the feet are pointed up like the flame
atop the candle which "is" the legs.

Fainting is another method that can put the blood pressure back up.
Since I have been embarassed by fainting upon blood-letting a couple of
times in my 60 years of experiences, I choose to prefer getting the
benefit without the "fall" - I can kow-tow in the muslim prayer position
of kneeling on the mat and putting my head on the floor - forehead
touching - and achieve relief sometimes. If I pump blood out of the legs
and feet by either keeping my forehead on the mat and lifting each leg
alternatively and straightening it and lifting the foot as high as I can
and holding it there briefly, I get faster relief. This pumping can also
be done by getting the head off the mat and putting the derriere near
the heels, then putting the head as far forward with the derriere up
high; then back down; then up; down again ... until tired or the cramp
is relieved.

For completeness, I will include the one thing I taught Alan Bonander.
He liked this last method. Lie on the back on a mat; lift the legs and
pedal a bike that is not there. If you cannot "pedal", you can rest the
legs on the sofa or a chair seat cushion to keep the feet elevated.  If
bedridden, this can be done via the hospital bed raising the feet (or
putting a 4 x 4 block of wood to raise the foot end of the bed).

Alan found he could use this position with a pillow to support the head
and fall asleep even in the afternoon once in a while. Sleeping does
provide complete relief of dystonia - but, it is very advanced
re-training of neurons to be able to relax the tension in the dystonic
muscle - which is in spasm (twisted/distorted) because of lack of
neurotransmitter that would tell that muscle it is already too short.

hope this helps .. it is basic/elementary/ may be trite to some and
gibberish to others (for the 3 who are interested, my foot cramp has
been gone for the last half hour of my typing this.)
--
ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>