------------4544651D15440

Hi Camille,

Welcome to the list.  There is convincing evidence that Schizophrenia
runs in families.  That is to say I am morer likely to have a
schizophrenic episode if a member of my family is schizophrenic- the
closer the relative (biologically) the higher the likelihood.  There
appears not to be any evidence- to my knowledge- that one is more likely
to become schizophrenic if the disease is on one side or the other of
the family tree(mother or fathers side).

Regarding PD,  the evidence is much more confusing.  There are
undoubtedly some families in which PD is inheritted.  There has recently
been data showing that a particular gene or group of genes is
responsible for PD.  If this is true then PD I would assume is an
inheritted disease - or at least a vulnerability to the disease coupled
with an environmental agent such as a virus or toxin is inheritted-.

I am not aware of studies of both diseases in the same family but I
suspect that there is not a relationship for the reason that I mentioned
in my last posting-  that pathogenesis of schizophrenia is almost
certainly more than an excess of dopamine.

I hope I haven't confused the picture more.

Again welcome to the list.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN

------------4544651D15440

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Hi Camille,</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Welcome to the list.&nbsp; There is convincing evidence that Schizophrenia
runs in families.&nbsp; That is to say I am morer likely to have a schizophrenic
episode if a member of my family is schizophrenic- the closer the relative
(biologically) the higher the likelihood.&nbsp; There appears not to be
any evidence- to my knowledge- that one is more likely to become schizophrenic
if the disease is on one side or the other of the family tree(mother or
fathers side).&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Regarding PD,&nbsp; the evidence is much more confusing.&nbsp; There
are undoubtedly some families in which PD is inheritted.&nbsp; There has
recently been data showing that a particular gene or group of genes is
responsible for PD.&nbsp; If this is true then PD I would assume is an
inheritted disease - or at least a vulnerability to the disease coupled
with an environmental agent such as a virus or toxin is inheritted-.&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I am not aware of studies of both diseases in the same family but I
suspect that there is not a relationship for the reason that I mentioned
in my last posting-&nbsp; that pathogenesis of schizophrenia is almost
certainly more than an excess of dopamine.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I hope I haven't confused the picture more.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Again welcome to the list.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Charlie<BR>