At 12:06  14/01/97 -0500, Stan R. Houston wrote:
>Barb:
>We are all fighting a common enemy, and it serves no useful purpose to
engage in personal flame wars.<

Stan,
Since we all seem to agree on this point, I have to wonder why you felt it
necessary to send this post. Barb is quite capable of speaking for herself,
which she did, and unless I missed something, your post only serves to fan
the flame.

>Unfortunately, some individuals need to be reminded of that with a shot
between the eyes. They're so filled with hostility and anger that the direct
approach is the only way to reach them.<

There is so much hostility and anger apparent in your statement, to speak of
"some individuals" is tantamount to the pot calling the kettle black.
Someone asked about Alan Bonander today and requested that some of the older
list members post recollections of Alan's accomplishments. He was a truly
remarkable man, but there are others who knew him better than I, David Boots
being one of them. However, to quote Barb Patterson, "Alan died from
complications of asthma on August 1, 1996. Alan Bonander joined the Parkinsn
list shortly after it began. Alan shared his vast knowledge of Parkinson's,
drugs, drug interactions, helpful hints such as Tom Reis's blue glasses. He
also shared his compassion for others. Those of us who knew Alan are
fortunate." I shudder to think what Alan would think of the turn the list
has taken. We are not always aware of another's situation, so like Alan
Bonander, can we not show consideration and compassion for each other and
stop all this bickering?

No, we cannot live without humour, nor do we want to, but let us not forget
the real purpose of this list, learning and helping each other cope with
Parkinson's.

Another list member wrote: Let's reserve the bandwidth of the list and our
valuable time by passing personals directly instead of publishing them..or
direct your comments directly by typing the intended receivers
name..Continue to put meaningful titles in our SUBJECT line so as to give us
a real good idea of our topics. Don't repeat complete previous messages just
to put your comments at the end. This is the same message that David was
trying to get across.

>Was it Pogo who said: "I have seen the enemy, and it is us."?

At times we are all our own worst enemy...and on a personal note, about a
year ago I went into a very deep depression, and David Boots was one of the
kind souls who helped me back up. Almost daily, he sent crazy stories,
jokes, whatever he thought would give my spirits a lift, and he and I became
friends. So folks, knowing David as I do, he does not deserve the criticism
he has received, especially at the hands of those who do not know him.

And, Stan, if you read the last line of Barb's post, she states, "The only
thing I'm gonna fight 'round here is Parkinson's."

Judith