Hello everyone - I'm new to this list, and I'm impressed by the knowledge,
energy and sheer liveliness of the group; no evidence of loss of brain
function here!

I'm 42, from London UK, and was diagnosed 9 months ago (though I've had
problems gradually developing for 3-4 years).  My symptoms are very mild so
far: loss of dexterity in left hand and foot, fatigue, sometimes unsteady
gait and stumbling speech when I'm tired, but negligible tremor.

I've kept off medication so far, and I'm reluctant to start - I've always
been wary of drugs (and don't normally even take aspirin/paracetomol for a
headache!) as I prefer to be in touch with the state my mind/body really is
in.  And I find the potential side effects of L-dopa daunting.

What I'm interested in is any experiences, ideas or suggestions anyone has on
drug-free ways to stabilise the progress or symptoms of the disease (I know
this is a bit of a Holy Grail question). Diet? Vitamins? Exercise? Herbs??
 Has anyone out there successfully stayed off drugs (and stayed mobile) for
5, 10 even 20 years?  Incidentally, in the UK the standard professional
advice we get is that PD patients should try and delay the start of
medication as long as possible; I think perhaps the philosophy is different
in the US?

I've already devised my own regime of therapy, based on a range of scientific
and unscientific advice:
- stretching exercises morning and night
- sleep/catnap in the afternoon (1-2 hours)
- Antioxidant vitamin pills (C, E Selenium etc)
- Cod Liver Oil (Vit A) and Evening Primrose Oil
- Aromatherapy massage (don't know if this works, but it certainly feels
good!)
- conductive education exercise class 2 hours/week.
Incidentally I don't see any obvious mention of Conductive Education on our
Web sites - it is a form of rhythmic physiotherapy developed by the Peto
Institute in Hungary, initially focused on treating cerebral palsy.  It also
seems very positive in re-educating brain motor functions for PD patients.

So - any anecdotes, advice or war stories?  I'm in pretty good shape so far,
still officially working full-time (though in practice at about 60%
efficiency), and doing my best to help my wife bring up a young family of 4
lovely little girls (9, 7, 3 and 1 years old).

Best wishes to you all.

Tim Sanderson ([log in to unmask])