Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:

>I  would like to bring to your knowledge two facts concerned to
>cigarettes : one of my uncle by father side(they were 5 brothers) died
>of advanced PD around his 80 yrs and always smoked cigarettes.One of his
>sons (he had 3) died too of advanced PD around the same age and was a
>cigarette smoker also.
>
>REgards,
>
>   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
>   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+

Well, my mom, who has PD,  was quite a light smoker (she used to keep an
eye on my smoking as a teenager by sharing her pack with me--and I recall
it took a month or more for us to go through it--we really didn't inhale,
so never got hooked, thank God!), and she quit cold turkey as soon as the
Surgeon General's first warnings came out (in the late 60's, I think).

My grandmother and my mother's sister smoked all their lives---neither had
PD--my grandmother died of a stroke in her 70's, my aunt of a stroke and
heart attack in her 50's.

What is kindof sad is, my Mom gave up smoking and now, years later, not
only has heart problems and PD, but has a bit of Emphysema!

My father gave up smoking at the same time, except for an occasional cigar,
and he is a very healthy 75-year old, who jogs every morning and still works!

Who says life is fair?

:-)

NB