Hello Bob Hirschfeld:

Sorry about this delay in responding to your posting on Thursday, but I
subscribe to the digest only. The edition with your message  was downloaded
into my computer shortly after midnight. I retrieved it this morning, and
finally sat down to compose this message after borrowing a space heater from
a neighbor so I could thaw my fingers. (Central heating in our "dream home"
in the country died last night at bedtime. Temperature in Southeast Texas
dropped to 28 degrees overnight.)  Ever tried typing with Parkinson's in
freezing weather wearing gloves?

Also, I subscribe to America Online. If you've read the papers lately, you
know that I can expect to break into AOL between 2:00 and 2:01 a.m.  as long
as Gertrude and Hortense in Horsehair, Wyoming, aren' t both using the
Internet at the same time.

Per your inquiry: I can understand your frustration concerning the timing of
taking Sinemet. I bet you'll receive several answers similar to mine.

I'm not certain you will find much authenticated nonanecdotal information on
this subject. From my own observations, this aspect of Parkinson's appears to
be one of most indivualized. Everyone seems to have a different story.

Take me. Every few weeks I tinker with my pill-popping schedule in my
Parkinson-crazed efforts to reap full benefits from the Sinemet. I take them
with meals and they kick in as quickly as 15 minutes, but almost always at
least within a hour. Then, suddenly, they hold me hostage for three to four
hours before kicking in. I switch to a one-half-hour-before-eating schedule,
taking the pills on an empty stomach. A short time later, I'm hunched over
the toilet puking my guts out. I switch to a one-half-hour -after-eating
schedule, with the same results as if I had taken them with a meal. I've
tried eating a few soda crackers with orange juice (before and after meals).
That works for awhile, but they always shift into their irregular,
unpredictable mode sooner or later.

As far as I can determine, there is no easy answer. (I'm sure Dupont and the
neuros claim there is.) Each person is different in the way Parkinson's
attacks them. Likewise, each person is different in the way their body and
brain responds to Sinemet.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes to you and your father-in-law.

Stan Houston
"The Writer from Texas"
Cat Spring, TX 78933