> Kenora Fluerette Leonard <[log in to unmask]> wrote

>If this membership is smoking, well you wouldn't know it - no one ever
>says... except me sometimes... Interesting but at one time everyone smoked
>and no one had Parkinson like now.  My doctor smoked, and had twenty-ouncers
>of rye on his back shelf for all to see. What happened to us - every day
>more new members to the List  - makes you thing right?  Are we stressed out
>because of life's expectancies or did we take too many aspirins?
   Help!!

Well I smoke too, and since it slows the PD and reduces symptoms, I sometimes
wonder what life would be like now if I had not spent the last 29 years
puffing.(I would be very rich) But I do not recommend smoking - the 'side
effects' can be serious. Anyway there must be drugs on the way which will be
more effective than tobacco.

But the point you make about more people on the list every day . . .   we
seem to be getting younger (me 47/8 and thats old compared to many of you)).
I read that 1 in 7 new PD patients are under 40; this does not tally with a
graph I've seen from the 1960's? which seems to show less than 1 in 100 new
patients were under 40. Maybe diagnosis is better now but but surely not that
much. I've searched Medline and elsewhere but can't find anything useful -
does anyone know if the average age has been getting younger?

John Meagher, Preston, UK