On Fri 17 Jan, Nigel Cockle wrote:
> I have been taking Pergolide since May last year and, having got past the
> initial side effects, I have found that it greatly improved my response to
> sinemet. I was still able to walk during off periods and off periods were
> much less frequent. My daily medication is:
>                      Sinemet cr 100/25   6 tablets
>                      Pergolide 0.25mg    7 tablets
>                      Eldepryl 5mg        1 tablet
>                      plus vit C and E and selenium
>
> In the last couple of weeks, the off periods have become much worse. I have
> read somewhere that pergolide is only effective for a limited period. Should
> I increase the dose, try not taking it for a few days or just accept that it
> will be of no further use to me?
>
> Does any one have a similar experience?
>
> Nigel Cockle
> E-mail     [log in to unmask]
> Mail       59 Norley Road, Cuddington, Northwich, CW8 2JY, UK
> Telephone  (44) 1606 882150

Hello Nigel. You and I are in much the same boat at the moment: I take
       22 Madopar 50/12.5 (1.5 every 2 hours + extra to cope with meals)
       Pergolide 0.25 mg 8 tablets
       Vitamin E  100 mg /day

   I have had quite good experience with Pergolide. Looking back, I see that
I started on pergolide in Sept 1994 ( 2 tabs /day) and have gradually been
forced up to the present 8 per day.  I have not been able to find anyone
who can tell me how these Dopamine agonists really work, but it appears to
me that the effect of the Pergolide is (1) It allows you to slightly reduce
the amount of Sinemet you take, and (2) It seems to 'soften' the transition
from On to Off and vice versa.

Your problem (and mine) is not the fault of the Pergolide losing its
effectiveness, it is the progress of Parkinson's in its ever- downwards
descent. Like all the Dopamine agonists, Pergolide appears to have a limited
capability to literally replace dopamine as a neuro-transmitter, and I don't
know why they are limited.

I am due to see my neurologist in 2 weeks time and I intend to lean on him
to prescribe Re-Quip for a change. The 'theory' is that there are up to 5
types of dopamine receptor; some are associated with dyskinesias and some
are not. The makers claim that Re-Quip homes in on receptors which do not
cause Dyskinesias, thus allowing us to take more Sinemet. I say 'theory'
because most neurologists to whom I have spoken appear to have an "I'll
believe it when I see it" attitude. Still, it's worth a try - There are not
many options left, are there? I will let you know how I get on.

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>