At 08:00 PM 1/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> Kenora Fluerette Leonard <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>
>>If this membership is smoking, well you wouldn't know it - no one ever
>>says... except me sometimes... Interesting but at one time everyone smoked
>>and no one had Parkinson like now.  My doctor smoked, and had twenty-ouncers
>>of rye on his back shelf for all to see. What happened to us - every day
>>more new members to the List  - makes you thing right?  Are we stressed out
>>because of life's expectancies or did we take too many aspirins?
>   Help!!
>
>Well I smoke too, and since it slows the PD and reduces symptoms, I sometimes
>wonder what life would be like now if I had not spent the last 29 years
>puffing.(I would be very rich) But I do not recommend smoking - the 'side
>effects' can be serious. Anyway there must be drugs on the way which will be
>more effective than tobacco.
>
>But the point you make about more people on the list every day . . .   we
>seem to be getting younger (me 47/8 and thats old compared to many of you)).
>I read that 1 in 7 new PD patients are under 40; this does not tally with a
>graph I've seen from the 1960's? which seems to show less than 1 in 100 new
>patients were under 40. Maybe diagnosis is better now but but surely not that
>much. I've searched Medline and elsewhere but can't find anything useful -
>does anyone know if the average age has been getting younger?
>
>John Meagher, Preston, UK
>I should have mentioned that my doctor died at the age of 72.
As I read my message over again, I find that it was poorly redacted - is
Parkinson caused by the medication that we have taken over the years for
headache, bursitis, tendonitis, etc.  Are they the reason that we develop
Pd?  My grandmothers, my mother never worked outside the home - no Pd there.
My mom is 90 plus, her mother died at 93 and my paternal grandmother also
died at 93.  My maternal grandfather died at 92 while my paternal
grandfather was 52 (heart problems).  My father was 76.

OOPS - computer malfunction - will continue later...  Fell