Beth Leslie: I wonder if a nicotine patch might be useful to give a
smoother effect (and possibly easier to absorb) than nicotine tablets.
Either way, let us know.

I have an article called "Effects of Smoking on patients with early onset
PD" from the Journal of Neurological Sciences, 117, (1993) pp28-32.
In these patients smoking reduced tremor, rigidity, bradykinesia, and gait
disturbances including frozen gait.  These effects lasted about 10-30
minutes, and relieved parkinsonian symptoms in the off period. Nicotine
chewing gum had a lesser effect. Nicotine is thought to activate the
nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathway and increase the release of dopamine in
the striatum, and this can explain the effects of smoking in these
patients."

They don't rule out a placebo effect, neither do they recommend smoking.
Interestingly, they also say smoking may relieve symptoms for those with
Tourette's Syndrome.