On 01/18/97 Tim Sanderson said:

>The most wonderful thing about Parkinson's I've yet discovered is how much
it makes you really appreciate other people's grace and agility.

I'm not willing to call it wonderful, but my husband's difficulties with PD
have given me an awareness of something most of us take for granted, the
ability to make our muscles do our bidding without a conscious effort.

It doesn't take many sessions where I watch Neal trying to will his feet to
move so he can get from point A to point B (usually the bathroom)to give me
a profound appreciation of the seemingly simple fact that I can move about
at will. And I no longer consider the twinges and stiffness of arthritis a
big deal.

Something like Tim's experience at the ballet has happened to me lately. I
find myself observing how people move and how wonderful it is to be able to
walk. I also think about the physiology of movement and of the intricate
balance of muscles cells, neurotransmitters, and nutrients that are involved
in making movement posible. In PD one of those elements is not doing its job
and my husband cannot move when he wants to. It won't be truly wonderful
until a cure is found for PD.

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal, 76/11)