Rob R. and Jeff J...

Ohh gee.... something ELSE to worry 'bout now!   Which is the RIGHT, the BEST
vitamin E for a Parkie to take?

Here I am... innocently taking 800 to 1200 ICUs worth of vitamin E each day
depending if there's a bit of residual toe or leg cramping on a given day (and
since I began taking vitamin E four years ago there's been hardly ANY
cramping) with no thought about what TYPE of vitamin E that was going into my
wee body....

Oooops!  Let me amend that.  There's been four criteria to what kind of
vitamin E  I buy.... does that brand WORK for me, i.e., no or little cramping,
is the capsule small enough for me to comfortably swallow it (have problems
with big "horse pills" since the advent of PD), is it a "water release" pill.
and is it the CHEAPEST brand available given the above criteria.

I've ruled out the most expensive brands because my pharmacist told me
that many of the LESS expensive brands are made by the same companies as the
expensive ones, and just marketed under another name... Since my nearby
drugstore is a national chain, I've been comfortable buying their "in-house
brand" pharmaceuticals because their products ARE made by big name companies,
according to the pharmacist.

So here I sit right now, with a bottle of vitamin E in front of me and for the
first time I'm actually READING the label for INGREDIENTS.  The first thing
I've noticed is that it's dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate.... a synthetic.  Well I
knew that when I bought it.  There's also Gelatin, Polysorbate 80, Glycerin,
and
"may contain vegetable oil."  "MAY" contain?  Hey wait a minute!  I try real
hard NOT to add a lotta unnecessary fats into my daily diet (not counting
those imbibed from eatin' a pizza every now and then, of course) <grin>.  What
kind of vegetable oil might be in these vitamins, anyway?  And IF this vitamin
supplement is SUPPOSED to contain an oil/fat, what kind is used as an
alternate to vegetable oil?

The vitamin E that I'm taking is a Sav-On Drugstore "house brand," and in
looking over the bottle, I see that it indicates it's "distributed by National
Procurement & Logistics Company," out of Salt Lake City, Utah.  Nowhere on the
bottle does it indicate what country the drugs were actually MADE in.  That
last fact bothers me, 'cause right away I instinctively feel they've got
something to hide.

Out of curiosity, I just got out a bottle of Motrin (an over-the-counter
name-brand ibuprofen) and read the label (with the help of a magnifying glass)
<there's enough in small print on that bottle to rival an unabridged copy of
Webster's Dictionary!> (grin), and no where on the bottle did it indicate
country of original of the contents.

Strange... with all clothing bought in the USA buy and nearly every other
product as well, the manufacturer is forced by law to indicate what country
the product was made in.  But apparently with something as important at the
drugs we ingest, our government doesn't see THAT as important in needing to
list the country a drug was produced in?

I can't help but think there's something wrong with this picture, tho I'm not
quite able to put my finger on WHAT is wrong with it.

Barb Mallut
"Lil_Honey" on the PD Chat & ICQ