Dear All:

Granny Flame aka Granny Pothead has been busy trying to get some real answers
to really important stuff - like does Marijuana (baked in brownies or steeped
as a tea) really help pain like Restless Legs Syndrome.  Depends upon whether
MJ is a stimulant or a mellow soother I suppose.

I tried nicotine gum to see what it does for RLS and guys and gals it just
about blew my legs off - I didn't know nicotine is a stimulent.  RLS  doesn't
do well with stimulents (caffeine etc).  Actually RLS doesn't do well with
any drugs except opiates and they don't cover more than 2-3 hours and maybe
not worth the problem with constipation which can be a killer.  Sinemet is
often used but almost always aggravates a rebound problem and leads to
further escalation of the total daily Sinemet dosage and further rebound RLS
and so on a vicious cycle.

Permax or bromocriptine are treatment options for RLS for some people.  Not
me.
with Permax I get so much upper respiratory congestion I can't breathe
through my nose and my eustachian swell up so much I can barely hear.  That
and early morning sparkling blue lights and sore chest muscles have scared me
off Permax.  I think it is quite toxic even at the lowest dosages.

Then there is Klonopin (clonazepam) an atiepileptic drug which is a popular
treatment for   RLS.  Some people I've talked to say that it makes them too
drowsie the next day.  I tried it and I felt like a zombie.

Nothing works well for very long on RLS.  No joke - RLS is no joke.  I'll
wager that quite a few alcoholics can blame it for that condition.  I'm sure
more than a few suicides are the end result of RLS.  When my RLS is severe I
have entertained the thought of putting on my snowshoes some night when it is
-30F and walking out to the woods with a bottle of Southern Comfort.

I have joined the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation and receive a their NIGHT
WALKERS  newsletter.  Many physicians and scientists are getting on the
research bandwagen now (especially those who have  RLS) and taking sleep
deprivation seriously.  If you have RLS get in touch with RLSF at 4410 19th
St. NW Suite 201 Rochester MN 55901 - they will send you (and your doctors)
lots of information regarding effective treatment and universal awareness of
this awful condition.  If any of you with PD as well as RLS let the
foundation know as we need doctors well trained to both diseases and frankly
I don't see this mentioned often in their newsletter and I know I'm not the
only one with this combination.  If you are a physician with PD/RLS all the
better - I talked with Arthur S. Walters MD from Rutgers who is on the RLSF
board and he thought I said I know a doctor with both conditions and he was
very excited.  Interest is springing up all over North America and more and
 more sleep labs are opening in medical centres.

"Have a Good Night"