> oes your mom want everyone to be quiet during her cramps or does she
> >just want not to be talked to.  I often find myself thinking  "can't they see
> >I'm busy" if someone attempts conversation with me during the dystonic
> >episodes which punctuate my days.
>
> Ahhhhhh ... I hate it when people can't understand that on occasions
> I just HAVE to be left alone to suffer it through: I don't want them
> to leave - just not speak to me!

Jeromy and all others.

I recognise this. When I have cramps, which come in my case always together
with dyskinesia, I need to concentrate. I have to try to change the movements
that I don't want into movements which I initiate myself or into not moving at
all. By that it may be possible to diminish these movements or let them
disappear. If I succeed, every stimulus can make the whole result undone and I
feel I have to start all over again. I use to withdraw myself in situations
like this.
Two things tend to make it easier. One is music, in my case especially Bach. I
guess the function of the music is among others to keep my attention and by
that preventing my own thoughts doing the same destroying thing any other
stimulus can do. The other is being in a driving car which has less than
perfect shock absorbers (not driving myself and not with constant speed on a
highway).
An exceptional case is the cramp in my right foot which happens every morning
just after rising and is not accompanied by dyskinesia. It never lasts long.
The only thing that helps is to put on a tight fitting shoe. At all other times
of the day I like to walk barefoot.
You are not weird Jeromy, but PD is.

                                Ida Kamphuis
                                       Holland