It all started with a posting by Peter M.Hewitt to this list on
9/18/96 with the subject heading "Exercise".It was an invitation by
Peter to those within driving distance of Monrovia,California to
join a vey successful exercise class.This was of great interest to
me,since I was finding regular daily  morning exercises using the National
Parkinson Foundation materials very helpful.Come October,
after our oldest grand-daughter's wedding,we decided that a trip to
Los Angeles in November to visit our chidren and grandchildren was in
order.So,I sent a message to Peter asking for more information about the
Exercise class.He replied immediately telling us that the class meets
on Monday,Wednesday and Friday between 11:00am and 12:00am and suggested
that we call Beth Mirman,the lady conducting the class when we get to
Los Angeles.We called Beth and arranged to participate in the Friday
class which meets at the Monrovia YMCA.We came an hour earlier to have a
chance to talk and were greeted by Beth and her husband Dr.Mirman  who came
with his camera.Then,Kathy the YMCA director greeted us warmly and
presented us with a pair of YMCA Tee shirts.Before we knew what was going
on,we were interviewed by a lady from a Pasadena newspaper.Then,we
realized that they were using our story of visiting the exercise class
all the way from Israel via the Internet Parkinson List as a means of
getting publicity for their Parkinson's Exercise Program.We then met
Peter and his charming wife Heather for whom he is the CG.

It was a real treat participating in the class and watching Beth
work with the group.She choreographs the exercises and coordinates them
with lively music.Envision a lovely blonde 63 year lady in cowboy boots
illustrating the exercises and motivating the group.One man being helped
by Peter was really bent over.The last exercise consisted of marching around
the room to the music.With the help of Peter and his caregiver,they got this
man up and moving around the room with the rest;an unbelievable
accomplishment for him.Except for the last,all the exercises are done
from a sitting position.The young lady newspaper reporter was as impressed
as we were.She remarked that it is not necssary to have PD to benefit
from the program.

I spoke with Beth before we left,and she said that the publicity brought in
several new participants and a Pasadena neurologist,who after the class
told Beth that he was going to prescribe the class for his PD patients.
This reminds me that my neurologist never once mentioned exercise as part
of my treastment;just Dopicar(Sinimet) and Jumex(Eldapryl) after a
disastrous experience with PK Mertz(Amantadine).When I asked
about exercise,he casually lent me some booklets.

Aliza Lieberman 73/PD 2-,CG Gil 74