Brian Collins wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jan, Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:
> > Hello Nigel,
> >
> > Rosemary J Oram wrote:
> > >
> > > Answer to Joao Paulo Carvalho
> > >
> > > 1. Madopar Tablets each contain 200mm. They are grooved in four parts for
> > > ease of division.
> > >
> > > Madopar capsules contain 100mm. + 25mm Benserazide. These are slow
> > > release capsules.
> > >
> > > 2. My present medication is
> > >
> > >                 7 a.m.         2 Madopar capsules
> > >                                         1 x half Madopar tablet.
> > >
> > >                                         1 permax tablet
> > >                 11 a.m.         Ditto
> > >                 4 p.m.         Ditto
> > >                 9.30 p.m.       2 Madopar capsules
> > >                                         1xhalf Madopar tablet
> > >                                         [No permax]
> > > Nigel Oram ([log in to unmask])
> >
> > If I undestood correctly :
> >
> > 1. Madepar capsules do NOT have bensenrazide.They are pure levodpa.
> >
> > 2. You take daily about 1000 mg of levodopa.Is'nt too much ?
> >

> > Here in Brazil it is found a med under the name of Prolopa250(200 mg of
> > levvodopa + 50 mg of bessenrazide) in tablets.There are'nt tablets of
> > pure levodopa.

> >    +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
> >

> Let's see now:
> 1) I guessed that Nigel's tablets were Madopar 125s because the 200 mg
> tablet seemed too big.
>
> 2) I was partly right: Nigel takes 100 mg doses but does it by breaking
> a 200 mg tablet in half.  Why do you do that ?  Is it a cost benefit?
> One of the reasons why I use Madopar Dispersibles containing only 50 mg
> of Levodopa (And they are grooved to split in half) is that I can break
> the tablet in 2 easily, and then in half again, giving me effectively a
> 'resolution'  of 12.5 mg per piece of tablet. Starting with 200 mg and
> breaking that down  seems to be doing it the hard way. ( Keep the
> golden rule in mind : A little and often is better than an occasional
> large dose.

> Joao Paulo: I don't think anyone takes pure levodopa these days: The 99%
> which fails to get to the brain can make you very ill. Certainly if you
> say Madopar or Sinemet, you are talking about a 'buffered' tablet. i.e.
> one in which the levodopa is protected from attack while it is in the
> bloodstream by Carbidopa (in Sinemet) or Benserazide in Madopar.
>
> Are we all straight now ?>

> Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>

Rigth on Brian...This is what I suspected since I found strange the way
Nigel put it and  since dosage of meds are different in some countries I
had my doubts...
Thanks again,(BTW I see that you have started adding a new med in your
daily ingestion).

Best wishes,

   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +