Steve,
        "Ropy" saliva is a major problem for some sufferers of Shy-Drager
Syndrome.
(My Wife's condition)  There seems to be no systemic control of this
situation in her case.  When it gets too bad I use an artificial saliva to
relieve it for a short time but have heard of nothing that brings long term
relief.  You might try something like that.
                                Best Regards,
                                Don Summers
                                The SDS Caregiver Who Lurks