On Tue 21 Jan, Henry Guttentag wrote:
> TO ALL MEMBERS:
> I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY WIFE WHO HAS HAD PD FOR AT LEAST 8 YEARS. HER
> PERSONALITY HAS TOTALLY CHANGED TO THE POINT FROM PASSIVE TO VERY VERY
> AGGRESSIVE. I AM WONDERING NOW IF THE MEDICATION IS NOT PLAYING HAVOC
> WITH HER. SO I AM REQUESTING IF ANYBODY HAS HAD BAD EXPERIENCES WITH ANY
> OF THE  MED. COMBINATION SHOWN BELOW. I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT. THE
> DOCTOR (NEUROLOGIST) DOES NOT THINK SO, BUT I BELIEVE THAT HE MIGHT BE
> WRONG.
> SHE SHOULD BE ON SINAMET HOWEVER SHE CLAIMS TO  HAVE SIDE EFFECTS FROM
> THE MEDICATION,SO THE DOCTOR HAS KEPT HER ON ARTANE??
> MEDS SHE TAKES:
>
> ARTANE, EFFEXOR, ATIVAN,VICODIN, LODINE, RISPERDAL AND PANCREAS
>
> I THANK YOU
>
> HENRY GUTTENTAG ([log in to unmask])

Hello Henry,  you really do have a problem, don't you. I have never heard
of most of the drugs which you list: I presume that, apart from the Artane,
they have been prescribed for other reasons, and not for Parkinson's?
So, unless there is an undocumented reaction between these drugs, it
comes down to the Artane.  Very aggressive behaviour is not listed as a
characteristic of Artane, but on the other hand, I don't imagine many
people will have used Artane by itself for 8 years or so. You are out on
your own as far as long-term use of Artane goes. Artane is one of
the anti-cholinergic drugs, which puts it in the minor league for
effectiveness. Sooner or later, you are going to have to try to get your
wife to accept Sinemet, and I would say sooner would be best.  I am sure
you have seen the sort of advice which has been written about a VERY
small introductory dosage, and gradually increasing until some effect is
noted. I do hope that you can sort this out, and get back your 'original'
wife.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>