From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of [log in to unmask]
Sent:   Monday, January 20, 1997 11:14 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Costochondritis?

In a message dated 97-01-12 00:24:22 EST, Lil Honey writes:

<< It's sometimes diagnosed as a pinched nerve or as a
 "neuropathy" (disease of the nervous system) <gee, thanks doctor... that's a
 big help!>.  >>

Actually, neuropathy would be better translated as 'disease of peripheral
nerves'.  A number of conditions may cause it, for example, nerve damage due
to diabetes.

<< This condition is an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs, and
DOES
 have a medical name - beginning with "C" and ending with "iitis," and DAMN,
 wish I could remember what it's called.  But it IS very real, and VERY, VERY
 painful! (I know whereof I speak with THIS puppy!)  >>

Is the word you're looking for "costochondritis" ?  The 3 parts of this word
refer to 'rib', 'cartilage' and 'inflammation'.  This is a common cause of
non-cardiac chest pain.

      Mahmood (Mike) A. Usman, M.D. [[log in to unmask]]
        Director, The Alzheimer Center of Pittsburgh
           Phone (412)787-7887  Fax (412)787-7922
     5168 Campbells Run Road Pittsburgh, PA (USA) 15205
            http://www.CenterWatch.com/AlzCtrPgh.HTM