Hi Fleurette
My name is Anne. Jan at the foundation office has helped me and other people
 in Newfoundland start four support groups.
When I saw the letter from Joyce I didn't think anyone else was starting
a support group so I replied by email.
I don't think Joyce will mind me sharing my letter with the list

 this is what I said  to Joyce
((because typing is hard work I will be brief.))

These points come to mind first.
They are not rules.
They may not work elsewhere
There is more if you find this helpful.
Anne

Getting started-- some general suggestions

Having a 'parent organization' helps if your philosophy matches

First step is finding one or two other families who are keen(I have some
ideas)

You will need to have some organizational get-togethers
you and the other founders can form an interim committee
which is replaced at the meeting with a voted on committee

There is nothing more scary than the first meeting
we had 12-15 at the NF first meeting in June 1988. We were all strangers
I took a display of brochures books  etc from the Parkinson Foundation
showing them broke the ice.

The Grand Falls and Carbonear groups had about 20+ at their firsts
Grand Falls saw a video had a welcome speech
and voted in a 4  person committee.
Carbonear had a talk  and a show and tell about the other 2 NF groups
and selected 2 families to be an interim committee

some things to settle
1 does anybody have a group close by

2 Do yoou want a group which
        a) meets for exercise -best weekly
        b) meets for talk   monthly
        c) has educational speakers     monthly
        does all three

3 there will be costs (not much if meeting place is free)

4 You will need  some literature and local publicity.
end of letter--

Fleurette  and Joyce ,
It may take a while to find some others  to help you
more Ideas
flyers  could go to the pharmacists
Cable TV announcments
Is there  a nursing home  - you could meet the manager
write a notice / press release for your community paper or radio
(Jan will have samples)

Keep us Posted
Anne Rutherford