Bill - Is your dad STILL off Sinemet?  Please note, I'm not a doctor, but it
seems to me the Sinemet should gradually be added back in, while your Dad is
watched for adverse reactions.  If he hadn't had major problems with the
Sinemet before hospitalization, it seems unlikely that it suddenly caused
delirium!

Consider instead that:
 1) a drastic change such as hospitalization frequently causes severe
disorientation and other marked changes in the mental condition of an elderly
patient who is hospitalized;
 2) our experience with PD in hospitals is that it is common (USUAL) for the
PD drugs to be administered at the wrong time, in the wrong dose or
combination, skipped altogether, etc.;
3) your dad was almost certainly given sleeping pills, possibly or probably
an anxiolytic (tranquilizer or whatever), and who knows what other meds.
 Your gerontologist is probably not fully aware of the drugs that cannot be
administered in conjunction with PD meds.

Can you get a copy of his hospital records and talk to a pharmacist you trust
about the drugs he was taking in combination?  (You will find a pharmacist a
better and more reliable source of info than almost ANY MD on the subject of
drug interactions).

The symptoms you describe now sound like an underdosage of PD meds.  Eldepryl
by itself is NOT a substitute for Sinemet!  If the Sinemet is added back
gradually, you should see a striking improvement in your dad's condition.  If
he does experience hallucinations once it is added back in, there is a med
that can be given to counteract that.  It was mentioned here on the list
lately, and by a couple of people in our support group, but for the moment
the name escapes me.

HELP - Someone on the list will know the name of the med that reduces
confusion and hallucinations caused by Sinemet - please tell us what it is.

Bill - good luck to you and your dad.  Keep looking for answers (and/or
doctors) until your dad improves.  There's usually no reason for this rapid
(and continuing) deterioration medically, and the answer usually lies in the
combination of meds.   Margie Swindler