On Fri 24 Jan, Lawrence Reynolds wrote:
> Has the FDA approved pramipexle for use in the USA?   Does anyone have
> first hand information on this drug.  Would appreciate comments.
> Thanks,   Lawrence

Hello Lawrence.  Re: Peamipexole, I have collected the attached emails over
recent weeks. The concensus seems to be that it works, but we will have to
wait a bit longer before it is available. I assume that the tests reported
by George W Campbell are not critical to the approval process, because they
still have 2 years to run.
PRamipexole is one of a new breed of Dopamine agonists which (it is claimed)
give a dopamine- like effect, without triggering the dyskinesias which are
such a problem in advanced Parkinson's.  I have to say that my neurologist
has so far taken an 'I'll believe it when I see it' attitude, which I think
is a sensible approach to take at this stage.
  Does anyone know if the drug is being cleared in the UK ?

Date: Fri, 17 JAN 1997 03:01:13 -0500
From: Grorge W Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Grateful for medications
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>

   I am in a study con pairing Senemet and Pramipexole. The study will
last two years.  I just completed week one  of which ever med I am
getting. Wonderful!  This is the first time in eight years that I can
tune one piano, much less three or four, without severe neck, back, arm,
and leg pain. Only some of my symptoms are improved, but I actually
exercised when I got home, and it felt good. I have no illusions about
the current state of PD meds.  That`s why at age 48/1/12 I agreed to be
in a study group.  Hope springs from a well eternal.

 Date: Sun, 22 DEC 1996 12:38:09 -0500
From: "Bruce G. Warr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Permax
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>

Milton,

I have been participating in the clinical trial of Pramipexole, which is a
dopamine agonist like Permax. According to my investigator they are
expecting approval this spring. I am on the maximum dose the protocol will
allow and I have had absolutely no side-effects. At the start of the study
I had been on increasing doses of Sinemet for four years. During the three
years of the study I have been able to get by without any increase in my
Sinemet intake until just this past month, so it really works for me.

 Date: Mon, 23 DEC 1996 12:27:58 -0500
From: Lisa Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: pramipexole
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,
Pramipexole will be manufactured by Upjohn. It has received the last of the
main approvals by the FDA however there are still some minor hurdles before
it's out for the general population. The earliest it will be out is Jan but
more likely it'll be March or April (speaking in 'FDA Real Time'). BTW this
information is directly from Upjohn, specifically from the person in charge
of the Pramipexole project.
Jeff and I wish all who celebrate Christmas the very Merriest Christmas ever
and to all, a happy and wonderful New Year.
Best Regards, Lisa Carper and Jeff Carper (46/8)

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>