Very good, Mary Ann,

Bent Willow wrote:

> This report was sited in Chem and Engineering news (12/16/96).  My husband,
> Jamie, thought list members might be interested.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Pyridostigmine, a drug that protects against the effects of organophosphate
> chemical warfare agents, crosses the blood-brain barrier in mice under
> stress *much more easily* than it does in unstressed animals, according to
> a study by Israeli researchers (Nat.Med.,1 1382 (1996)).  The findings may
> explain an earlier report that Israeli soldiers serving in the Persian Gulf
> War were three times more likely than expected to show central nervous
> system side effects of the drug.  Some U.S. soldiers also received the
> drug.  A carbamate inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase, the drug is
> quaternanry ammonium compound that would not be expected to pass through
> the tightly packed layer of endothelial cells that normally keep lipophobic
> molecules out of the central nervous system. However, Alon Friedman and
> Hermona Soreq of Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Ilan Tur-kaspa of
> Tel-Avivi University's Sackler School of Medicine, and their colleagues
> find that mice that are stressed by being forced to swim require only 1/100
> the dose of unstressed mice to inhibit a comparable level of
> acetylcholinesterase in their brains.  If this effect turns out to be a
> general one, the researchers suggest, "these alterations in blood-brain
> permeability might have far-reaching clinical implications."
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Many participants on this list have suggested that stress has had an impact
> on their PD symptoms and medication effectiveness.  One wonders if testing
> has been done to determine how stress impacts on the metabolism of Sinemet?
> ---------
> Regards
> Mary Ann

This I suspected since I observed that taking levodopa early in the
morning and before  playing a competitive sport such as soccer, I
noticed that during the rest of the day I felt as there was a better
improvement in my general well being and from the sligth or mild tremors
in the rigth hand or thumb.

Best wishes,
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+