At 23:20 20/01/97 -0500,
Henry Guttentag <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>TO ALL MEMBERS:
>I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY WIFE WHO HAS HAD PD FOR AT LEAST 8 YEARS. HER
>PERSONALITY HAS TOTALLY CHANGED TO THE POINT FROM PASSIVE TO VERY VERY
>AGGRESSIVE. I AM WONDERING NOW IF THE MEDICATION IS NOT PLAYING HAVOC
>WITH HER. SO I AM REQUESTING IF ANYBODY HAS HAD BAD EXPERIENCES WITH ANY
>OF THE  MED. COMBINATION SHOWN BELOW. I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT. THE
>DOCTOR (NEUROLOGIST) DOES NOT THINK SO, BUT I BELIEVE THAT HE MIGHT BE
>WRONG.
>SHE SHOULD BE ON SINAMET HOWEVER SHE CLAIMS TO  HAVE SIDE EFFECTS FROM
>THE MEDICATION,SO THE DOCTOR HAS KEPT HER ON ARTANE??
>MEDS SHE TAKES:
>
>ARTANE, EFFEXOR, ATIVAN,VICODIN, LODINE, RISPERDAL AND PANCREAS

Henry,
Margaret  was on Artane for about 15 years at first by itself, and later, in
combination with other drugs including Sinemet and Bromocrypten (Parlodel)
However, her tolerance to the latter drugs was not very good and she found
the Artane to be essential to her well being.   Her neurologists wanted her
to stop the Artane but she found that she relied on it too much to stop.

Eventually, though, she began to  experience hallucinations and  exhibit
symptoms of agitated paranoia.   She was now under a different neurologist
who said OK we'll have to taper the Artane off very gradually.   At the same
time he began giving Margaret Clozapine (Clozaril).  This was done with two
objects.   To lessen the paranoia, and to increase her tolerance to Sinemet
by reducing the dyskinesia.

This was introduced even more gradually than the Artane was reduced but by
the end of a 10 week stay in hospital  Margaret was able to tolerate 100 Mg
of Clozapine nightly without suffering from undue sleepiness the next day.
(This is a side effect that mainly affects older people and limits their
Clozapine tolerance to well below what is administered to younger
schizophrenics)    She was also better able to tolerate the Sinemet and the
Artane had been eliminated from her regime without any obvious increase in
PD symptoms.     More importantly, though she had completely recovered from
her demented state.

I repeat, the key to the achievement of the seemingly impossible task of
weaning her off Artane was  gradual changes in the dosage and the building
up of her tolerance  to Sinemet.

Hope this helps you to find a neurologist who can effect a similar
transformation in your wife.

Regards,
M.
Mark  Atyeo