Henry:

Yesterday you may have read a message I posted. I informed members they might
not hear from me until after my appointment with a new doctor in two weeks.

After reading your letter, however, I must take the time to offer my
thoughts.

I may be wrong, but I read several messages "between the lines" in your
letter:

1.  YOUR WIFE'S DOCTOR: He may have a great bedside manner, but when was the
last time you saw "BEDSIDE MANNER" listed in the yellow pages as a medical
speciality?  I can' t imagine any doctor responding to the question, "Are we
treating her for Parkinson's?" by replying, "Possibly."  I know your wife
refuses to change doctors. But I see little hope for  a solution until you
get her to agree to at least see someone else for one consultation.

2.  YOUR WIFE'S ATTITUDE: I found several telling statements in your letter.
"My wife replied she needs the medications to live." . . . "My wife has
always been sensitive to medication." . . . "If she has a bad day, she will
blame it on the new drug." . . . "DOC: We have tried you on all the
anti-depressants and you claim to have side effects. WIFE: Well, let's try
Effexor." . . . "Next visit, another symptom and some other medication."

Reading those statements edited together paints a picture for me. Henry, have
you considered that your wife may be addicted to medical treatment? (There's
a proper medical name for it. Sorry, I can't think of it now. People with
Munchausen Syndrome have the same problem but transfer it to others, such as
a child.)  Your wife is sensitive to medications, claims medications keep her
alive and visits a physician regularly and tells him what drug to prescribe.
Seems like a pattern to me. Have you ever discussed this aspect of your
wife's behavior with a competent psychiatrist?

3. YOUR WIFE'S ORIGINAL PROBLEM: The symptoms you described that started in
1988 are very much like what my wife experienced about 10 years ago. It
started with a bad case of bronchitus, but she spent almost a month in bed,
unable to do anything except lie there reading or watching TV. Slowly, she
started gaining strength again and was able to return to work. However, it
took about a year before she could go back to running (she ran in a marathon
once) or her other regular activities.

Her problem? No one seemed to know. Then one day, she stumbled across several
volumes in a book store that described her situation perfectly. CHRONIC
FATIGUE  SYNDROME. It virtually incapacitates the victim. Extreme weakness,
no energy, unable to perform the simpliest tasks without becoming exhausted.
After that, she found a doctor who recognized CFS as a legitimate illness and
was able to help her anytime it returned. (Many physicians do not know about
CFS or recognize it as legitimate.)

Of course, these are just my opinions. But maybe they will add some new
information to the mix so that you can eventually find a solution.

Good luck. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Stan Houston
Cat Spring, TX 78933