Contacting your Senators and Representative

WEB URL - ZIP To It - http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/ziptoit.html
Use your browser to find out how to contact your legislators, or
PAN via PHONE  - 800-850-4726
PAN via E-MAIL - [log in to unmask]
Margaret Tuchman E-MAIL - [log in to unmask]
Barbara Schirloff E-MAIL - [log in to unmask]

There is a 'virtual store of political information' ready to be accessed
by email. The job ahead of us requires dedication, knowledge, interest,
persistance, diplomacy, creativity, networking, solidarity,
intelligence.  We have all mastered these qualities, otherwise we
wouldn't be here!
The inventory of info-tools include, but are not limited to:

1/  List of the 104th Congressional cosponsors, 62 Senators and 248
Representatives. Also the 28 representatives who cosponsored Chris
Smith's (R-NJ-04) HR 3514 introduced on 5/22/96.

2/  List of the 105th members of the Senate and the House of
Representatives

3/  Lists of Senate Committees:
-- Appropriations: Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) Chair
-- Budget: Pete V. Domenici (R- New Mexico) Chair
-- Commerce: John McCain (R-Arizona) Chair
-- Labor & Human Resources (James Jeffords (R-Vermont) Chair

4/  Lists of House Committees
-- Appropriations: Bob Livingston(R-Louisiana) Chair
-- Commerce: Tom Bliley(R-Virginia) Chair

5/  List of Advocates. A collection of the "creme de la creme". Selected
from sources Barbara Schirloff and I could safely 'appropriate'.  There
is a core of 50+ "hardened" grass roots veterans; names and addresses of
250 people who participated in the Udall Post Card Mailings;  and a
solid group of 450 people who replied to my "What is your Home State and
Zip Code" enquiry. By the way, WE NEED MORE people and data.

6/  List of Support Groups. This is the weakest link in our database. I
am counting on  APDA, NPD, NPF and PAN (alphabetically) to get vital
information to those geographic areas where we are "thin". Unaffiliated
groups are also being sought!!

Let's begin with each of us contacting our two senators and
representative. The preferred method of contact is 'in person',then via
US mail, by phone, fax or email (last resort). You will need to know
WHOM to contact (see items 2, 3 and 4 above, and WHAT to say. PAN has
packets of up-to-date statistical information, sample letters,
hand-outs, etc -- all that a grass root advocate needs to start. You can
call the legislators at their home office, or toll free in Washington:
800-962-3524.

I know that many people have already begun to work -- this note is not
intended to decrease the importance of self-initiated activity. There
are a number of new members  and those of us who need a little support
and reminder of the available resources. There is a need for
participation on every level. Please feel free to ask questions and MAKE
SUGGESTIONS, use the direct email addresses, NOT the listserv address.

Looking forward to working with you ALL!
Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980) NJ-08540-12th district