At 11:21  19/01/97 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Nothing works well for very long on RLS.  No joke - RLS is no joke.  I'll
wager that quite a few alcoholics can blame it for that condition.  I'm sure
more than a few suicides are the end result of RLS.  When my RLS is severe I
have entertained the thought of putting on my snowshoes some night when it
is -30F and walking out to the woods with a bottle of Southern Comfort.<

Welcome back, Barb,
To anyone who does not have to deal with RLS, these statements may seem
extreme, but when your body is crying for sleep but your legs want to keep
on dancing, all kinds of not-so-wonderful thoughts whirl through your head.
It's a real toss-up as to which is worse, Parkinson's or RLS.

RLS, Restless Legs Syndrome Support
http://www.rls.org/index.html

I don't know if this site was posted before or not. I stumbled onto it while
looking for something else, so haven't checked it out thoroughly, but I
found the following interesting...

The earliest known reference to RLS was made over 300 years ago!

Wherefore to some, when being a Bed they betaken themselves to sleep,
presently in the Arms and Legs, Leapings and Contractions of the Tendons,
and so great a Restlessness and Tossings of the other Members ensue, that
the diseased are no more able to sleep than if they were in a Place of the
greatest Torture.
- Thomas Willis, 1685.

Judith