Hi!  I am Ron Carrell, a new list member with parkinsons.  I was diagnosed
with parkinson's in April of 1987, but I can trace early symptoms back to
1984
In 1995  I became badly incapacitated with freezing and "on-off" symptoms.
On April 1 I underwent a pallidotomy  at the University of Utah in Salt
Lake City. This was done on a single side (right side) as my infirmary was
mainly on my left side.  The results were excellent; instant relief of my
freezing and on-off problems as well as some unexpected results such as :
better mobility in being able to get out of chairs, bed etc., ability to
walk easier, and all the benefits of improved mental attitude.
Now, some ten months later, parky is noticeably progressing on my right
side especially.  My tremors are getting uncontrollably bothersome, to the
point of
affecting my ability to feed myself. My balance is poor. Dressing is
becoming more difficult, and my  memory is diminishing.  I gave up my
driving (voluntarily) last summer. What a feeling of loss of
independence!!!!
My wife (Dava) has taken on the responsibilities of care-giver. She is
becoming more knowledgeable than I on medications, tips and hints for
easing my  incapacities, and will be joining the care givers list.
I will answer any questions members have on pallidotomies or other aspects
of my adventures with parky that I can.

                                        Ron Carrell