Jack, I think it might be helpful to tell your friends & family.  I could
not understand why my Dad was acting 'so old' when he was only 65.  I always
thought that he just thought he was old - so he acted old.  Now that I know
what is wrong, I know he is not doing it himself - it is Parkinson's.  I
have had a lot more empathy towards him & understand why he is slow, weak, &
depressed sometimes.  My brothers & my Mom really didn't know what was wrong
and still don't sometimes because they really don't know that much about
Parkinson's.  When I e-mail my Dad all of the good posts - I copy them so
that they can be informed of this disease as well.  I really think it will
help my Dad in the long haul.

>  I tell myself there is no reason to cause them needless worry, they can't
>help me, and I don't want sympathy or pity from anyone, although eventually
>they will all know, of course.  What I think I will need, when the time comes,
>is their tolerance and understanding, maybe even empathy, but before they have
>a need to know ?
>  I would appreciate hearing from any listserv members who have struggled with
>this issue, and to know how, when and why they have resolved to disclose or
>not to disclose.
>  God Bless us, everyone
>                                 Jack Peckenpaugh

Debbie Bevel, long distance CG for Dad, 67/3+
The Woodlands, TX  - just north of Houston