>I have been following this list for sometime but have never posted to it
>because everything I have to say is covered more ably than I could.
>However the message from David Langridge concerning diphasic dyskinesia
>hit home. After being diagnosed with PD about 8 years ago this symptom
>started for me a year ago - and at times drives me batty (g). I had
>always thought dyskinesia happened when there was too much dopamine was
>released in your brain but this definitely happens at the end of dose time.

Rosemary Paul

I'm glad to have been instrumental in getting you to crawl out from behind
the wainscotting, abandon your lurker status and make a valuable
contribution to this medication twist which at present only seems to effect
a gang of three yourself, Ida and myself.Maybe there are still some other
shy lurkers who might come forward and admit to this end of dose time
dyskinesia which seems to me to raise a number of interesting questions on
how Sinamet works particularly as the occurence of this rare but documented
aberation does not at first view tie in with what I  shall call 'The Collins
model.

Ida Kamphuis discussed this in her reply to my posting. I quote ' Being in
my end of med's I have many times been asked: are you cold(I was
> not at all), do you want the window closed or things like that. That is why
> I called it sometimes my cold turkey. The symptoms of the end of med's have
> resemblances with symptoms of junk's who are in need for their next shot.
> Neurofysiologists say (so I read lately) that all those things that cause
> addiction  activate dopamine synapses in different ways. That apply's to
> such different things as amfitamine, morfine and nicotine.
> Maybe there is a common mechanism. Does anybody know more about this?

So far nobody has made any suggestions.My own theory which has evolved since
this discussion evolved is that it appears that at a certain low level of
exogenous levadopa in the brain the remaining levadopa producing cells say
sort of 'Hi guys levadopa levels are low' and suddenly frantically start
over producing.I can't see where this sudden excess comes from unless it is
home produced because what ever the dosage of sinemet taken and at whatever
intervals the symptoms always occur at end of dose and can only be halted by
never letting level of dose fall ie more frequent medication .

Thankyou Brian Collins for offering to analyse a chart.I hope to be sending
you some information but I had always thought your model was only used for
more advanced cases of PD.Thankyou Margaret Rutherford for offering to send
me some details

David Langridge