Barbara Mallut wrote:

> Henry G..
>
> I know Vicodin is for pain, and cannot take it without a negative reaction vis
> a vis the PD symptoms becoming extreme.  AND, when my MD prescribed it, and I
> reminded his that I have PD, he commented, "Vicoden won't affect THAT."   W R
> O N G!!   VERY wrong...
>
> Henry... I don't know what a lotta the meds your wife is on are for, but
> surely she can be carefully and slowly weaned off one, then another and yet
> another till the negative aggressiveness hopefully disappears or lessens, and
> can thus indicate what the cause of that aggression might be - or NOT be?
>
> Keep in mind that while there's a good chance it MAY indeed be caused by one o
> f a combination of he drugs, it may also just be where she's at in life (I
> know, m'dear... that is NOT what you'd prefer to hear!).  Or, it may mean that
> she's going thru a neurological crisis as yet to be identified.
>
> One last thing, Henry... and I mean no insult to your intelligence or level or
> caring in saying this, but have you been able to just sit down with your wife
> in one of her calmer moments (IF there are any), and TALK to her about her
> becoming aggressive?   Maybe ask her what SHE thinks might be the cause, IF
> she's even aware of the situation?   Errrrr... obviously this won't work at
> all if she's become some kind of raging amazon-with-PD!
>
> I'm rootin' for you and your misses, Henry....
>
> Barb Mallut
> "Lil_Honey" on the PD Chat
>
> ----------

Henry,

I am an RN whose dad has PD and I was fascinated by the combination of
drugs your wife is taking.  It is amazing and in researching them in
reference books, I found several have AGGRESSION as a side effect.  The
Effexor is an antidepressant and probably fine.  The Ativan is an
antianxiety med and seems unecessary on top of Effexor.  Also it has
irritability. anger hostility, mania and other paradoxical(opposite of
what is expected) reactions as side effects. My dad has these paradoxical
reactions to antianxiety, pain, sleeping meds and even Benadryl.  The
Lodine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory(NSAID) commonly used for pain
such as in arthritis.  However I was shocked to see that she takes
Vicodan which is a narcotic pain reliever which can result in addiction.
Why is she taking it and is it on a regular basis?  Then the Risperidine
is an antipsychotic med which also may result in agitation and anxiety
and aggression.

I don't mean to be obnoxious, but I would seek the opinion of another
neurologist who is clear on PD and the meds.  My dad sees a neuro who is
also a psychiatrist and it is a great combo.  It sounds like your wife is
on too many meds and that several could be contributing to her behavior.
 I strongly recommend another opinion and maybe two!

I have to disagree with Barbara, but with the plethora of meds your wife
is taking, I don't think talking will help and it might just agitate her
more!

Good luck!
--
Gail B. Post, RN,MS,CSN