Just a note of greeting to introduce myself. I am a 60 year old program
director at a large university in New York City. I'm also married and the
mother of three adult children. I had always enjoyed good health and an
active lifestyle until February 1996 when I was placed on Depekote for
prevention of frequent migraines. Shortly thereafter I began to experience
tremors in my right hand. The neurologist spent several indecisive months
trying to make a diagnosis, vacillating between multiple sclerosis and PD. He
insisted a lumbar puncture was needed to make a conclusive diagnosis -- I
refused to consent to the procedure. After eight months, impatient with his
inability to make a diagnosis, I went for a consultation with the Motion
Disorder Group at Columbia Presbyterian's Neurolgical Institute where I was
diagnosed almost immediately as having PD.

Subsequently I became part of a double blind study evaluating the relative
side effects of pramipexole and sinemet. I do not know which I am taking and
will not know until the two year study ends. I seem to be benefiting from the
medication however since the tremor is gone and I am able to write legibly
and perform all activities of daily living without difficulty. Right now,
except for an occasional tremor, I feel like my old self. I know that this
will not continue indefinitely but I plan to enjoy this interlude of
well-being for as long as it lasts.

I look forward to my association with the Parkinsn Digest. I know that I will
learn a great deal from your individual experiences and collective wisdom.

[log in to unmask] (Carole Smith)