Ivan - Dick tells me he responded to your question about tremor, but didn't
talk about freezing or painful muscle tightening, so I'll add my two cents'
worth here.

> The freezes include
>extremely PAINFUL
>muscle tightening , from the sides of my head to my toes and arches.

The extremely painful muscle tightening you describe sounds like the dystonia
Dick had.
If you've noticed the recent postings about wearing-off dyskinesia and
peak-dose dyskinesia, you're aware that dyskinesia (involuntary movements) is
a common problem in PD.  Dick had what his doctor calls a sub-class of
dyskinesia - dystonia - which is the tightening and twisting of the muscles.
 That may be what you're describing.  That condition was helped considerably
by the pallidal stimulation, and presumably would be reduced by pallidotomy,
too.  However, Dick still has a touch of dystonia from time to time - it's
just not nearly as severe as before.  We know people who had the muscle
cramps all over their bodies, just as you talk about, who still have the
cramping post-
pallidotomy, just to a lesser extent.

When you meniton "freezing," do you mean the kind where you are suddenly
locked into place and can't move?  Dick had only occasional trouble with that
prior to surgery, and is beginning to have more frequent occurrences now as
the disease progresses.  Ask your neurosurgeon which symptoms are targeted by
pallidotomy.  He/she will be able to tell you specifically which symptoms are
usually improved, and which they don't expect to be able to help.

Dick was told that the pallidal stim, like pallidotomy, does not specifically
target tremor, yet he had probably the best results in that area.  I suppose
that's because it was his worst symptom.

The way we have described the surgery to friends is to say, "It's certainly
not a cure, and  if you asked specifically about the symptoms - "do you still
have tremor?" (yes), "Do you still have dystonia?" (yes), they're all still
there.  But they're so greatly reduced that his quality of life is much
improved from before.  The disease continues to progress, of course, but the
surgery has bought him several more years of useful life.  I believe if he
had been able to have the surgery a couple of years earlier, he might not
have had to go on disability so soon.

I didn't want to paint too rosy a picture, yet in my caution, I don't want to
discourage you, either.  People seem to have mixed results from the surgery,
but the vast majority find it to be a wonderful improvement.  One person we
know who had the surgery said, "It gave me back ME."

Again, good luck.  Also, ask your neurosurgeon if he can give you the names
of others who have had the surgery and allow you to call them.  Our doctor
does that, and we have talked to a number of anxious patients prior to
surgery and been able to tell them what to expect.  Almost anyone who has had
the surgery would be happy to talk to you.

Margie Swindler          [log in to unmask]