Helen - Bowel motility is usually greatly reduced in Parkinson's, and meds
which cause dry mouth, etc., don't help.  Your father can use stool
softeners, and fiber additives such as Metamucil, if you can get him to take
them/it.  One lady in our support group swears by a mixture of one part warm
prune juice and one part non-dairy coffee creamer.  She says it works in a
very short time, so don't drink it and then leave home!  I find the real
trick is to get the patient to try some of this yukky-sounding stuff.

Constipation can actually be fatal in Parkinson's, and if nothing else,
interferes with the timely absorption of the medications.  It's good that
you're on top of the problem.  I would encourage you to work with your
husband's doctor to try to improve the situation.  It will probably be an
on-going battle without an easy remedy.    Margie    [log in to unmask]