Barb-

I think your response to Camilla quoted here is a little "over the top"
>From:Barbara Mallut <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: "Chatting/Humor/Varied tastes
>To:Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
>Camilla... and "All"
>
>You said:  "as Barb M's feeling that their banter is a useful escape valve for
>
>her group of special friends."
>
>I reiterate that I have no particular "group" of "special friends" from
>amongst the PD list members.  I have NEVER, EVER referred to myself as having
>a group of "special friends" on this list.  I like, enjoy, and respect a great
>number of folks  who logon here.
>
>There ARE individuals whom, of their own volition, post responses to some (but
>not all) of my messages.  I presume member interaction amongst it's varied
>users is still one of the purposes of this group?
>
>Should one of my posts generate 10 or 12 or even more responses, I take no
>responsibility whatsoever for what is said in those messages OR for the number
>of responses..  IF they are written in jest, or anger or seriousness or in any
>other context, THEIR content is solely the responsibility of the individual
>who authored them..

Does it really surprise you that people respond to your jokes?

>To all who suggest those posting humorous messages to this group be
>"involuntarily sentenced" to some distant corner of this "virtual room" so
>what they say won't OFFEND a few members, or BORE a few members or COST a few
>members a bit extra each month, I say those are EXCUSES for small minds that
>are not looking at the big picture of what such "involuntary segregation"
>would do to this group.

The fact that a number of people think there is too much chatter
going on would lead one to conclude that there is too much chatter going on.

>Of what purpose is it to all non-Americans to sit bound to their monitors
>reading countless posts about the Udall Bill?  Maybe those people who
>endlessly post about THAT should also go into a corner so they won't disturb
>those of us who don't have the same dedication or interest in that issue?

Funding from the Udall bill may lead to a cure. I would say this is one topic
all PWP's would be interested in.

 Oh
>yeah... let's not forget Ivan... HEY... so WHAT if he lost his home in a
>tragic fire.. THAT isn't due to PD, so off to the corner with Ivan and anyone
>who's going to post about or to him.

I don't remember seeing 10 posts/day re Ivan.

  And then there's our members who
>regularly post about their insomnia, their bowel movements (or lack thereof),
>their on/offs, their depression.. BORRRing!  GO TO THE CORNER!

Parkinson's symptoms are clearly on topic.

  And before I
>forget, Henry has to go to the corner for discussing his marital problems
>here.  Scram, Henry!

?Do his problems relate to his disease?

>I'd be ASHAMED to be part of a group that would FORCE  it's members who
>occasionally use humor within the group proper as an outlet to deal with the
>horrors of living with Parkinson's Disease to go under cover to use a sub-list
>IF they felt moved to write a spontaneous humorous post.

Occasionally is one thing, several/day is something else.

>And IF that "involuntary segregation" were to take place then the next group
>of people that could be "involuntarily segregated" might be we Jews or perhaps
>Catholics, or Gays and Lesbians, women over 50,  people of color... and THIS
>is just for starters.

This is a pretty childish argument. Noone is suggesting involuntary segregation
based on age, race, etc. Some folks
are pushing for a focus on Parkinsons.

>This ISN'T ABOUT HUMOR, folks.  It's about control.  It's about a few people
>out of over 1500 who just WON'T accept the fact that there IS a delete key,
>and no one's stopping them from USING it -- except themselves.  They'd rather
>bitch, moan, whine and ACCUSE other list members of  the most petty set of
>trumped up charges since those levied by the Romans against a certain Man 2000
>years ago.

You are right, it is not about humor, it is about SELF control.

>GET REAL!!  Have you forgotten that PARKINSON'S DISEASE is your enemy, rather
>than your fellow list members?

Agreed, so let's get back to talking about parkinsons.

Here's an analogy: pretend this is a business meeting. Would you
want half the meeting taken up with jokes/chitchat/other off-topic stuff?
Perhaps we could limit ourselves as follows:

If you want to tell a joke, you also have to say something about
parkinsons.

So- here's my contribution for tonight: I have a tough time
with Sinemet. My Dr. prescribed Zofran. I take one with each
dose of Sinemet, and it really eliminates the nausea. I highly
recommend it, if you have good insurance.

Ron 40/6