Sadly, I find that I have to climb off the fence on which I have been sitting
while the argument about houmorous and serious postings has been going on.

It takes time to put together the sort of article which I like to write,
and it also takes time to read the carefully thought-out responses which come
back.  Last week I found that while I had my nose down, deep into a new topic
the list had suddenly mushroomed to an incredible size. I had a very clear
choice to make: Read the mail and forget my article, or take an axe to the
list and  quickly get it down to a managable size. I used the axe, and IT HURT
I love a good joke, and in sweeping aside every posting which from its subject
looked like humor, I know that I missed 2 or 3 really funny articles.

    Note that I said 2 or 3 articles, because what we seem to have is a few
(very few) genuinely funny writers in our midst, and they are a resource to
be treasured. When they write an article, we all have a good laugh, and go
back to whatever we were doing with a lighter heart. However, what seems to
be happening is that a lot of people seem to regard that item as a challenge
to them to top the previous effort with something bigger or funnier or whatever.  It is these 'me too' groupies who are blocking the way.
  Sad to say, it really is a choice. I feel that I am missing something if I
resort to the delete button simply on the basis of the subject, so sooner or
later I am probably going to conclude that I am wasting my time, and may as
well settle back and join the drones. I sense from recent posts that I am
not alone in this concern. All it needs is a little bit more self-discipline:
Is that too much to ask?

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>