Brian Collins wrote:

> > Marty,
> >
> > I find that the type of exercise makes a tremendous difference. Walking and
> > a little jogging does not seem to use up the dopamine. Yard type work which
> > involves gross or substantial movement of the arms & torso make little
> > difference.
> >
> > Exercise involving fine motor skills uses me up [and the Ldopa/dopamine] in
> > a hurry. If I have to handle papers, screw in a  screw with an ordinary
> > screw driver, count paper money, etc, I am "off" rather quickly.
> >
> > Will

> Hello Marty and Will.  Will: I find your experience difficult to explain
> based on the  report which I quoted in my previous post. This says that if
> you allow up to 1 hour after taking a tablet before you start exercise,
> your blood levodopa levels will be unaffected by the exercise.
>
> The other point which you raise about jobs which require fine motor skills
> using your dopamine very quickly, is equally hard to understand. As I
> understand it, dopamine can be imagined as a small lever, which switches
> powerful devices (our muscles). The dopamine merely instructs the
> muscles to expand or contract, and is not used at a greater rate when
> we are thinking hard, nor when we are exercising violently.
>
>   I would suggest that what your experience shows, Will, is that you can
> do the jobs such as sweeping the yard in a condition where you are at a
> relatively low level of medication - that is, more Off than On. - a state
> in which you could not possibly cope with delicate jobs. In fact,
> delicate jobs demand a greater degree of control from our medication
> than coarse physical work, and it is much more difficult to achieve the
> correct tablet dose to allow you to do the fine work for a prolonged
> period of time.
>    What I am trying to do here is find explanations for your experience
> which are consistent with the findings in Paper A, which strikes me as a
> well-thought-out piece of work which should be respected.  As far as the
> original question about the duration of a tablet goes, i suggest that if
> you check, you may find that you were getting a part of the penalty
> due to starting your exercise too soon after taking the tablet.
>
> On a purely practical note, I strongly suggest that the most effective
> way of coping with shorter duration of tablets while exercising ( i.e.
> the experts got it wrong, and it wouln't be the first time) is to bring
> forward the time for the next tablet, and not to take an increased dose,
> as that would probably exacerbate (good word, that) any tremor which you
> may have.
> I would be interested in your views

> Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>

Brian,I suspect of one added factor that is the state of ones mind.I
will try to explain:for instance if the exercises are done under stress
or not,competetive or not,done with pleasure or by a kind of a
duty,demands heavy concetration or not,it is realized with or without
suspense(type Hicthcok films  :-) ),there is fear or not,and so on.As
you know PWPD are very susceptible to psichological factors,sometimes
more than the physical ones by themselves.That is,the situation may
require independent of the strenght put in it,the greater or lesser
production of adrenaline,seretonine,
endomorphine,and the like.These substances can then have action on the
way the brain will be more or less permeable to levedopa.

Regards,
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+