TO: Ron Barber

Damn, Ron. I'd sworn no more posts for me on this debate. But your
paragraph-by- paragraph "analysis" of Barb's excellent letter got to me.

I'll address only three of your comments. The others do not really answer
anything Barb wrote, in my opinion.

     "The fact that that a number of people think there is too much chatter
going on
      would lead one to conclude that there is too much chatter going on."

Sorry, this is extremely faulty -- and dangerous -- logic. Take out the
phrase "there is too much chatter going on" and substitute anything else (in
both places) and you will see why. Try:

      "all Jews are thieves"
      "all Blacks are criminals"
      "all elderly people are terrible drivers"
      "all Mexican-Americans are lazy"
      "all liberals are left-wing extremists"
      "all conservatives are right-wing extremists"

See what I mean?

     "This is a pretty childish argument. No one is suggesting involuntary
segregation
      based on age, race, etc. Some folks are pushing for a focus on
Parkinson's."

Childish? Not suggesting involuntary segregation? Maybe you didn't read David
Boots proposed guidelines for posting (1/27/97 at 12:36 p.m).  People who
post non-PD material are to be bombarded with private emails telling them
"their type of posting is not welcome on the list."  Non-PD material is to be
communicated through private emails only so that list members "are not
subjected to this info." What do you call that?

We already have "a focus on Parkinson's."  My God, did no one notice that
during the past five days -- while the nonsense, rivolity and humor debate
was bouncing around --- there were lengthy discussions about a number of
Parkinson's specific topics, including constipation. (One of my favorite
subjects. And, yes, I do have a problem with it. I managed to keep up with
the messages about that while participating in the humor debate.)

Regarding your analogy about business meetings: YES, I would want humor and
chit-chat (if I was still working). Meetings are usually dull. They could use
some life. Besides, this List is not a business meeting. It's an open forum
where Parkies can be themselves. Personally, I love that!  If we limit
ourselves to Parkinson's only topics, we'll miss the opportuniyt to get to
know the complete person at the other end of that computer connection.

     "You are right. It is not about humor, it is about SELF control."

Nonsense. That's the same linguistic trickery that extremist religious groups
use. You don't exhibit any self control so we've decided to control you. (See
paragraph about David's proposed guidelines.)

I will close by tossing you one Kudo for ending your letter with a joke. Hope
you will try more, whether your future posted messages are about Parkinson's
or not.

Stan Houston (53/5+)
Cat Spring, Texas 78933