Joan wrote,

>My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 yrs ago at 45.  We are
>hoping to build a new house in the next year.  What would be the
>best kind of flooring for bathrooms?  Vinyl seems so slick to me
>when wet.  Should the rest of the house be carpeted?  It will be
>built on a slab so no steps.  Also implicit instructions will be
>given to builder--no thresholds between changing flooring
>materials.  I am of course trying to prevent falls.  Bathrooms
>will have grab bars. All halls 4 feet wide.  Shower will have
>seat, no threshold.  Is there anything else I need to take care of
>in the building stage?  Any advice from you or any physical
>therapists greatly appreciated.  If you feel these answers not
>pertinent to whole mailing list, please e-mail me privately.  Do
>not want to start/get involved in a "flame war."  (Meant in nicest
>way possible.)

This is definitely relevent to Parkinson's disease. My father and I
shared a 2-bedroom townhouse (2 floors) before his recent
hospitalization. He had a lot of trouble going up the stairs: he had
to grip the rails with both hands. When I was at home, I followed
him up in case he slipped (which he never did). I was thinking that
we might have to have a motorized lift put in. (IMPORTANT- if
I were to do this, I would also put in au uninterruptable power
supply, like the kind that protect computers in the event of a
power failure. I would not want a PD patient stuck on the second
floor.)*

We had the landlord install an extra rail in front of the front door,
and shower bars in the shower. (We paid for them, the maintenance
workers installed them.) We also got a shower chair so he could sit
in the shower/bathtub, and a flexible hose shower attachment. Home
health care workers came in and helped him bathe during the past
few months.

We have carpets. Shoes that catch on carpets might not catch on a
smooth
floor, and vice versa.

We also bought a device (<$100) that automatically dials the police
when
a pendant is pressed, and it plays a recording. Dad fell and was not
injured, but he could not get up, so he pressed the button, and
the device (made by X-10) functioned. The police got an ambulence for
him. He was taken to the hospital to be checked for head injuries,
but
there were none.

Dad's doctor prescribed a lift chair for him, although he was
hospitalized
before we had a chance to buy it. Medicare (or possibly other
insurance)
will pay for the lift mechanism if a doctor prescribes it. The chair
is
considered furniture (not covered), but the lift mechanism is
considered
a medical expense. (Also consider an uninterruptable power supply for
this.)

                                         -Bill

* Important consideration: I would never want a nonambulatory person
   above the first floor. Remember that elevators are NOT to be
relied upon
   in a fire. Most nursing and personal care homes, I've noticed, are
single
   story.