Dawn Roest:

My name is Greg Leeman, I am 36 years old.  I was diagnosed with
PD in July of 1992.  I first saw symptoms in  the fall of 1990.  It was
during this time that I experienced difficulty in rehabilitating my right
shoulder from surgery.

As it turns out the shoulder problems could have been the initial
symptoms.  That would take it back as far as 1988.  It may even trace
back to 1985 when our receptionist noted that my gait had a peculiar
limp to it.

My initial symptoms were cogwheel rigidity, bradykinesia(slow
movement) and dystonia (muscle cramps in my calves and feet).  I
have experinced very mild tremor from time to time.  My condition
effects mainly my right side.

When you visti your neurologist,  try to prepare all the questions you
may have and bring them in writing.  The usual course taken by a
neurologist in handling young onset patients is to rule out other
possibilities as to a diagnosis.  This is because they have tests
available for many maladies that have similar symptoms.

If in fact it is PD my advice would be "one day at a time" and stay
informed.  If you select a neurologist whom does not specialize in PD
you will probably be more intuned to the latest and greatest for potential
treatment and a possible cure.

I am more and more optimistic as the research chugs up the mountain
to better days for all Parkinsonians.  It is not as tough as you will first
fear.  At least not for me.  I still workout with weights, drive and work a
full schedule for a construction company.

I hope this will help!

Greg Leeman