On 01/30/97 21:57:22 Joan Cutchins asked for advice about accomodations for
a PWP in a new home.

Dear Joan:

You are fortunate to be able to plan for the future with your new home. It
is difficult to remodel existing housing to accommodate a person who may
need a wheelchair at some time in the future. Here are some suggestions,
based on our experience, to add to those excellent ones others have sent
you.

About Vinyl Flooring: There are many styles and surfaces available. It does
not have to be slippery. We had to rip out the plush carpeting that had been
installed in the master bath when we moved to our present home. Vinyl, or
other washable material is a necessity in the bathroom, particularly for a
male PWP who has a bad tremor and difficulty standing and maintaining
balance. My husband keeps threatening to call in a plumber to install a
standard urinal. We make do with a walker placed over the fixture which
provides support but does nothing to improve tremor induced problems with
aim.  Vinyl solves the cleaning problems, but we also have to keep some non-
slip rugs on the vinyl floor because it is more comfortable for him on the
frequent occasions when he must crawl on hands and knees to reach his goal.

About Bathing Facilities: Be sure the shower is large enough to allow a
wheel chair access. At some future time this may be necessary to allow
transfer to the built in seat. Dual water controls can be installed to allow
a seated person to operate them, and at the same time provide standard
height controls for a caregiver.

About Plumbing: Higher than standard toilets are available in most wholesale
plumbing outlets. Consider leaving enough room beside and in front of the
fixture to  allow a wheel chair to be placed for east transfer. Grab bars
all around, of course. Faucets that are of the lever type that lift, rather
than pull out, are easier to use.

Floors and Floor Coverings: There will be falls in the future. Use
resilliant materials that are somewhat forgiving. Carpeting over foam is
resilliant, but plush, uneven loop and cut pile, and high pile carpeting is
difficult to roll a wheel chair over, and dangerous for a PWP to walk on.
Tight, low pile carpeting material is available.

Room Access: Wide doorways are essential for the use of a wheelchair.
Counter tops may need to be of non-standard height. Rooms need to be large
enough to accommodate furnishings AND allow room for a wheel chair to get
around without running into coffee tables or chairs. Our son inherited some
of our tables recently so that the wheel chair could enter the living areas
and turn around.

Getting In and Out: Plan for wheelchair access before building. Steps and
high thresholds are a big problem for wheelchairs or walkers. A door to the
outside in the bedroom is essential, if one considers the possibility of
having to get a PWP out of the house quickly in an emergency. One of the
first things we did when we moved to our present home was to convert a
bedroom window to a door and to build a deck outside where my husband can
enjoy the garden.

Electrical Stuff: There are connections now that allow light switches, fans,
etc. to be controlled by a hand-held device.

Finally, AARP (American Assoc. of Retired Persons) has a couple of helpful
publications on this subject: "The Do-Able Renewable Home" and a kit, "Don't
Move!Improve!" (601 E Street, N.W., Washington D.C. 20049).

Hope these suggestions will be useful

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal, 76/11)