Stan,

It is a crisis.

PD has many faces and we never know which is which. It's quite terrifying for
patients, maybe even more for caregivers. You get trapped into a gigantic
perverse loop, and you spiral down into hell.

Until you remember (or some darling voice suggests) PD is always evolving
slowly, without any exception.

Hence, if you live a sudden acceleration of the disease, you know it is a
crisis. Hammer that into yourself, Stan !

Now, take control off PD's ugly claws, and think through it. I mean, make 2
people out of yourself, one being attacked, the other watching from a distance
and ready to fight back : you sound like you have talent for that game.

Hi, Stan, this is Francoise. I just read through your mail above Bernard's
shoulder and thought maybe and for once I could be of some help.

I can only talk about my own reactions when I saw something hard becoming on
him. I feel that when there is some harsh stress overwhelming him (e.g. an
unsuspected problem from one of his children or a very close relation)  then
and only then PD attacks. I then feel there are two persons within Bernard :
his own self and some lurking enemy who is there merely to prevent the real
Bernard live his own way.

I then try and encourage him to do something new and try to live as if PD did
not exist at all. I am convinced PD hates not to be the most important person
within a body.

Perhaps the only reason to your present problem is your retirement, even
though you were of course  prepared psychologically, with PD, things are
always different when they do happen.

Bye Bye for now, and take care.

Bernard (63/7) and Francoise (CG and wife)