On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, c schryer wrote:

> Whole Language always incorporated a partial phonics
> approach but try telling that to the parents' groups.

        I wonder why it's so hard to tell that to the parents' groups.
I just don't understand the anxiety that prevents people from
complexifying their views about education.  Why do people think it's
better for their kids to take a Fonix Pill instead of actually learning
anything?  Do people want to think if they buy the videos advertised on
tv, they must really value education?  Are they afraid to let their kids
think for themselves?  Why?  I really don't have a satisfactory
explanation, here.

        Before I was a parent, I had easy categorizations for "those kind
of people."  But the older my kids get, the more I realize that people in
general really do love their children and want the best for them.  I
don't understand why all our notions of "best" diverge so much sometimes.

Marcy

                        Marcy Bauman
         Writing Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn
              4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128
                      fax: 313-593-5552
                 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~marcyb