On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Dr. Robert K. Irish wrote:

> Those interested in the memorization debate might find the NCTE
> Chronicle of interest. On pp 9&11, it summarizes some highlights of
> another on-line discussion of memorization.  Not that we should look
> there for solutions, but isn't it interesting that what Cathy called the
> "old debate" is rearing its head in several places at the same time.

        Rob, I wonder if it all has something to do with intellectual
proprty?  Seems to me memorization is strongly linked to the idea of
owning words, of making them your own.  The ownership of words is being
talked about in a number of contexts:  intellectual property, the renewed
interest in quoting and paraphrasing, collaboration . . . maybe I've got
-- as Russ would say (copyright, 1997, in personal e-mail to author) --
Carpal Tunnel of the Mind Syndome, but it seems to me that all these
discussions are an attempt to deal with and define the new writing
environments computers and computer technology affords us.  Or maybe to
revise our notions to include what computers and computer networks are
teaching us about writing and reading.

Marcy

                        Marcy Bauman
         Writing Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn
              4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128
                      fax: 313-593-5552
                 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~marcyb